Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fresh, clean slate

After many years of struggling with my weight, I finally pestered (advocated for myself) doctors enough to listen to my concerns in light of my "healthy" lab results. It seems that my healthy lifestyle was keeping me from getting diagnosed with PCOS and other things despite my years of complaints.

I am finally on "the" magic bullet for my particular weight loss struggle: Metformin...the diahbeeehtus (think of the liberty commercial) medication. In only three days in and I have already garnered a five pound weightloss!!! Incredible in light of the miles and miles I ran for hours on end on just 1500 calories a day which would only lead to that much in one or even two months of hard work, if that (if I had not reached a plateau).

Many women with PCOS are overweight, some are not. Many start their weightloss journey as a brand new "lifestyle" change. I can proudly say that my lifestyle does NOT need changing!!! I have all the tools, I am not on a healthy diet (I already eat "diet amounts" calorically on an everyday basis). I just eat lean protein, legumes and fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains (except for that 35 cal bread).

So I now finally !!! have the energy to workout given that metformin is "releasing" the energy in the foods I eat. Whereas in the past, it was all getting turned into fat. I guess this is not going to be one of those inspirational blogs where I tell you how I did it. This is a documentation of my thoughts and feelings so that I am accountable on days that I am unmotivated. I also hope to pen this memoir as a tool for women that are not yet diagnosed. This is not going to be laden with medical jargon or abbreviations, instead my thoughts, emotions, physical state will be documented.

No comments: