Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Law school is over

So now that I am out of law school, I have made a consistent effort to lose weight. I know it seems like a cop-out to some of you, but for the lawyers amongst you, you know this is real. I had a 20 hour a week part time job and a full course load and I gained 20 lbs. I know this is partly due to stress making me make bad choices, but the food does not account for all the lbs. I know already that when I get stressed out my body responds in kind by gaining weight. I no longer am in despair over this because now that I am on medication, its possible to lose it. It makes it no more easier or palatable an experience, but at least the possibility of losing exists.

I've lost 12 lbs of fat in the last month and a half. This is progress for me. This would have taken herculean efforts before my medication regimen. Now, I just eat right -- my diet is exceedingly clean and have one cheat meal a week along with going to the gym/working out 4 times a week, which is not a lot. Eventually when it gets warmer I expect this to go up to 5 times a week or more.

My exercise has also been on point, but is no where near the exercise regimen that I had to engage in before to lose weight. I had to work out 2 hours a day to lose, 5 times a week. I am not just talking light exercise either. I was training for half marathons or leg pressing 500lbs. Now my fitness is not as great as it once was and thats sorta depressing, but I am making good gains. I was able to run for five miles without stopping, which before would take me 50 mins. at a fairly good pace. Now it takes forever, but I dont put pressure on myself by stressing about it. I think that is one of the major differences in losing the weight this time. Its always on my mind, but its not controlling my life, making me miserable. I just eat clean, exercise moderately and my life is not ruled by rigid exercise and hunger. I think that this time the weightloss might be slower and I think I am OK with that for now. I try to keep what I have lost as a whole into perspective versus what I lose in a week or a few days.

Today's breakfast was greek yogurt (2% with strawberries and blueberries) and coffee with coconut milk. Today's lunch will be a challenge because I am going to a luncheon, but I am armed with granola bars and fruit, so if something is not healthy I simply won't be forced to eat it. I've been consuming a lot of herbal tea and green tea which helps as well. Tonight's dinner is likely to be a salad with steak and butternut squash -- same as last night.

Last night I did not exercise but I do not feel bad about it. I started watching a documentary on Hernandez v. Texas where the Supreme Court found that Mexican Americans are covered under the 14th Amendment despite the fact that they are "racially" white. I won't go into this story, but it was moving and brought tears to my eyes both because it was inspiring and sad at the same time. As an attorney, I was saddened that this kind of stuff was not covered in my Constitutional law class. The story and characters would make a good hollywood movie. A dashing lawyer, a guilty client and an insurmountable fight.

No comments: