Friday, April 1, 2011

Day off

Yesterday I gave myself the day off after I had a chicken wrap with cheese. It was going to be too many calories to recover from. I had a greek salad for dinner with edamame and corn sauteed in coconut oil as a side dish.


I had a craving for something sweet so I decided to make oatmeal cookies. The cookies were EPIC. They have oatmeal, peanut flour, whole wheat flour, toasted hazelnuts, chocolate, organic coconut, butter, eggs, coconut oil and agave syrup. This is by-far the best baked good I've ever made! The cookies were a cross between cookie and cake, but more on the cookie side - they were chewy and soft, but crunchy on the outside. They were really nutty since I put so many hazelnuts in; super indulgent. I ate three giant cookies and put the rest in the freezer for other days when I crave something sweet (rarely happens). Happy day yesterday with good food!


The recipe so I remember. First I took half a stick of butter and softened it in the microwave. I added a tablespoon or so of coconut oil (I needed enough fat for a whole stick-- what the recipe I was adapting asked for). Then I creamed that with a lot of agave syrup. Probably around a cup or so -- not sure really. I added about 4-5 packets of splenda to be sure it was sweet enough since I don't ever bake with agave. Then I added a tablespoon of vanilla extract and two eggs.


In a seperate bowl, I combined a teaspoon of baking soda with about a cup of peanut flour and 3/4 of a cup of whole wheat flour and I added a tablespoon of cinnamon. These are estimates since I rarely measure things. Then I took a fork and whisked it all together and added it into the wet ingredients. After that I added enough oatmeal to make the batter not as wet yet still sticky. I chopped the toasted hazelnuts and chocolate and added them along with the coconut. Then I saw how wet the batter really was and added more oats. When the batter was managable and looked like a regular oatmeal cookie batter, I took huge spoonfuls and made them into balls I put onto the cookie sheet -- three rows of three cookies on parchment paper. They really dont spread much like regular cookies since I added 2 eggs instead of the one egg the original recipe called for -- I really wanted them cakier than regular cookies. This is the best cookie I've ever tasted, the end.

No comments: